Helena has developed and facilitated workshops, symposiums, and other educational events for a variety of community and academic organizations, including CiTR 101.9 FM, Media Democracy Days, the Milieux Institute, VIVO Media Arts Centre, and the Simone de Beauvoir Institute.
Before undertaking a graduate communications program, Helena spent ten years freelance contracting in creative enrichment for elementary and secondary students through literature and writing; providing professional communications coaching; and designing highly effective, personalized remedial grammar and writing instruction.
- Ongoing: Enriched learning and writing clinics with private clients
- Soundscapes: Exploring and Composing with Ambient Sound (workshop for CiTR 109.5FM)
- Still Creek Salmon Sounds youth mentorship project with VIVO Media Arts and Still Moon Arts Society (Vancouver, 2018)
- “Hearing Spatial Narratives in Recreational Nature Zones” (poster presentation at Livable Cities Symposium, New Westminster, 2018)
- “Getting Out in the Field, Asking New Questions” article on citizen science and field projects for Mission Environmental Stewardship Society newsletter launch, Mission, 2018
- Audio Story-crafting & Poetics (workshop on sonic imagery and audio editing at VIVO Media Arts Centre, Vancouver, 2017)
- Field Recording: Tools, Ethics, and Political Dimensions (workshop on audio recording for social science research for Simone de Beauvoir Summer Institute, Montreal, 2017)
- Sound Environments Workshop Series: Critical listening, field recording, and sound processing (18 hour workshop on incorporating dimensions of sound in research/creative projects, hosted by Milieux Institute, Montreal, 2017)
- Forest Daydreams: Constructing Place in the Trees of Mission, BC (presentation in Mobile Methods panel at American Association of Geographers Annual Conference, Boston, 2016 )
- Echoes and Reflections: A co-located soundmapping venture between Morecambe and Montreal (presented audio work as recordist/composer with the Montreal Mobile Media Lab and participated in artist’s talk and Q&A session, Montreal, 2016)
- Guest lectures at Simon Fraser University and Concordia University, 2016-2017. Topics included: Online Political Spheres, Space and Political Economies of Listening, Low-tech Approaches to Podcasting, Sound Environments and Soundwalking (200 and 300 level)
- TA and Lab instruction for Coms 276 (Sound 1) at Concordia University, 2015-2016 (including project development, field activities, audio recording, and effects processing)
- Media Democracy Days SFU Collaboratory (4-session round-table with local public figures about gendered experience of the internet, Vancouver, 2015)